Tax Preparation Information
AARP Tax-Aide Program
- AARP Tax-Aide program will once again be held at Bangor Public Library and will be by appointment only. No walk-ins will be accepted.
- To make an appointment, call 922-6067 and leave a message clearly stating your name and phone number. A volunteer will return your call to schedule your appointment.
- Please be patient, this program is run entirely by AARP Tax-Aide volunteers.
Free Online Tax Preparation
- CA$H Maine
- If you, or your household, made $60,000 or less in 2023, get your income taxes prepared for free by IRS-certified volunteer tax preparers.
- Once you receive tax statements from all income received in 2023, contact one of the CA$H Coalitions for FREE tax preparation.
- For more information: https://www.cashmaine.org/free-tax-prep/
- My Free Taxes (open late January; sign up on site to be notified)
- My Free Taxes is a free online tax filing service provided by United Way and H&R Block
- Document upload can be completed with a smartphone
- Get Your Refund (opens January 31)
- GetYourRefund.org is a non-profit service built by Code for America in partnership with IRS-certified Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites nationally.
- GetYourRefund.org provides this free service by partnering with IRS-certified Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites to provide tax filing assistance to families earning less than $66,000 a year. Trained, IRS-certified volunteers will prepare and double-check your tax return to make sure it is correct before filing.
- IRS Free File
- The IRS Free File Program is a public-private partnership between the IRS and many tax preparation and filing software industry leaders who provide their brand-name products for free. It provides two ways for taxpayers to prepare and file their federal income tax online for free:
- Traditional IRS Free File provides free online tax preparation and filing options on IRS partner sites. IRS partners are online tax preparation companies that develop and deliver this service at no cost to qualifying taxpayers. Please note, only taxpayers whose adjusted gross income (or AGI) is $73,000 or less qualify for any IRS Free File partner offers.
- Free File Fillable Forms are electronic federal tax forms you can fill out and file online for free. If you choose this option, you should know how to prepare your own tax return. Please note, it is the only IRS Free File option available for taxpayers whose income (AGI) is greater than $73,000.
Federal Tax Forms
The Bangor Public Library has Forms 1040 and 1040-SR* and instruction booklets available for pickup in the atrium and in the Reference lobby (2nd Floor).
- The IRS now distributes the 1040 and 1040-SR forms separately.
- Patrons who need additional schedules, instructions, or forms may:
- Print them from https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions
- Call: 800-829-3676 to request that forms be mailed to them
- *Please note: The 1040 form was redesigned in 2018 and there is no longer a 1040-EZ or 1040-A
Maine Tax Forms
Maine Revenue Service does NOT furnish libraries with 1040ME tax forms. Maine Revenue Services (MRS) will mail individual income tax booklets to taxpayers who filed a 2022 Individual income tax paper return printed by MRS.
- Print booklets, instructions, and forms from https://www.maine.gov/revenue/tax-return-forms
- Maine taxpayers who would like to have a booklet mailed directly to them may:
- Call the forms line 207-624-7894 (leave name and address)
- Order online: www.maine.gov/revenue/tax-return-forms/electronic-request-form
- Write to Maine Revenue Service: PO Box 9107, Augusta, ME 04332-9107
- Summary of the Maine Property Fairness Credit
- Maine Revenue Services will assist taxpayers with Form 1040ME and Schedule PTFC/STFC. For help, call 207-626-8475 weekdays 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Closed on State recognized holidays.
Printing Tax Forms at the Library
Library users may print tax forms and instructions from a library computer at $.20 per page. Please see a reference librarian on the 2nd floor if you require assistance. You may also contact the reference department directly: 922-6071.